Tuesday, February 1, 2011

So Proud

Today was a very special day for my Aunt Kathleen. Today marked 2 years that she has not had a drink! I called her and told her how proud that I am that she has accomplished so much in such a short time.  I did not have this blog 2 years ago, so I will give you tell some of the story.

First of all my Aunt Kathleen was my favorite Aunt from day one. She is my Mothers Sister. She has always been the life of the party, an animal lover and just a great person all the way around. She never met a stranger. I can't really say what started her addiction because I really don't know. She was a young, skinny little hottie that worked in a drug store in a very small town. She met a man that was A LOT older than her and "fell in love" they married. He had already been married and had a son that was just a maybe 5 years older than my Aunt and he did not want anymore children. He was one of those men that just wanted a trophy wife. He would work and she would do everything else for him, when he said to do it and that was just how it was going to be. They were married for several years and she finally talked him into having kids. She was so happy. They had two children a boy and a girl. She was the best Mom and Wife that I have ever seen, that is next to my Mom. But something that many did not know is that she was so very miserable in her marriage. He was a pig. There was verbal abuse and I have no idea what else. By just being on the outside you would have never known. She was a very good actress. She stuck it out. I am not sure why...I don't think that it really matters at this point but she did. He was offered an amazing job in Cali and they were off to better themselves. All she had know her whole life she was leaving behind. She was brave. I could not have done that. Maybe she was scared inside...I will never know. I think that once they moved there and both of the kids were in school she was alone a lot. He did not want her to have a job. Her job was to take care of him and the house. When he got home from work, she better have things in order and waiting on him. I think that during the day she started drinkin...maybe to pass the time...maybe she was sad alone and did not have to pretend while there was no one around and that hurt her. It just progressed and progressed. I remember living at my Mom's house, still in high school and she would call at like 3 or 4 in the morning to just chat with me. It broke my heart. She was that woman other than my Mom that I looked up to for so many years and now I was more responsible than she was. She was sick. She was sick with something that I could not help her with and she did not want to hear about it either. I still tear up just thinking about this.  After several years there her husband was transferred to Utah. By this time her youngest daughter was 11 or 12 and was out of control. She was in gangs and hanging out with seniors in high school. She was a sick little girl. Kathleen and her husband divorced. Since she was drinking she became this person that she never was before and she was able to tell him to fuck off. She got a job and I thought that things were looking up for them. Her husband got transferred to Utah not too long after the divorce and Kathleen decided that she would transfer there as well so that the kids could still see their Father. As outta control as their daughter was I thought that the move would be good for all of them. My Aunt had met this great guy and he was trying to take care of her. He did his best to keep her sober and on the right track but when someone is determined to do something there is very little that can stop them. He still was there for her when she called on him to help her out, bless his heart. She ended up going down hill fast. Her children that did live with her soon moved in with their Father because they were worn out from trying to take care of her and her daughter was soon going to be where she was is she did not get out of there. We all decided to write letters to her. She was no longer taking our calls at this point. So we wrote letters and poured our hearts out to her. Begging her to come home and we would get her some help...and we got nothing.
    It was not until my Papa, her Daddy, was very sick in hospice that she finally came up home. She did not stay but she did come home for a couple of days to say good bye to her Daddy. I think that is what in the end made her come back home for good. We were all going through so much with my Papa being so ill, we did not confront her on her problems. I think that she actually claimed that she was sober at the time and she was not. She did get to speak to my Papa before he was unable and that was a good thing. My Papa later told my Mother that "Kat" would find her own way if we just give her time she will be home with us. It was very hard for my Mom to believe at the time.  My Aunt Kathleen left Texas and headed back to Utah before my Papa passed away and did not make it back for the funeral. Not long after the funeral she was hospitalized for drinking related complications. Her friend Dave, the only friend that she had came to her rescue. As soon as she was able he drove her to Texas and brought her home. She was a very, very, sick woman. After she came home she was still very sick. She ended up having to be care flighted to Dallas one evening and they were not sure if she would make it. She had huge blood filled cyst on her pancreas. She spent weeks in the hospital and with lots and lots of prayers and wonderful Dr's she is alive today.

They told her that if she ever had another drink the rest of her life it would be her last. She has been sober for TWO years today and I am so proud of her. There are some that never get the chance to get sober. I am so thankful that she did. She is such a wonderful woman. She is the Aunt that I remember her being when I was younger. She is in love with my daughter and my daughter is in love with her. Thank you GOD for giving my Aunt the strength and courage to accomplish the things that she has in her life. So it is true...sometimes people can change....sometimes.

I love you so much Aunt Kat!!!

No comments: